Easter Monday Sandwich
1 medium-sized red pepper (or 4 jarred piquillo peppers from Spain)
4 slices extra sour light rye bread with cumin seeds Wiedemeyer brand if available)
1 garlic clove
Leftover leg of lamb - cold
Sheep milk feta
4 sprigs fresh oregano
1. Prepare ingredients:
- Broil all sides of red pepper until charred. Set aside in paper bag until cool.
- Carve pink part of leg of lamb to make 8-12 small thin slices, set aside.
- Peel and seed bell pepper - Cut into 8 to 12 wide strips, set aside.
- Rinse and pat dry oregano sprigs, peel garlic clove, set aside.
- Cut 4 to 6 slices of feta, set aside.
2. Assemble sandwiches:
- Toast bread slices until golden.
- Rub garlic clove lightly on inside sides, spread mayo on same sides.
- Layer lamb, red pepper and feta.
- Place oregano sprigs on top (If stems are woody, only use leaves.)
- Give a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- Cover with other bread slices, press gently with your hands to bind everything together. Cut each sandwich in half.